Week 44 - Epcot Food & Wine Italy (Oct 28)

It was a rainy Friday at the Epcot Food & Wine Festival today. We had planned to stick around to see the Gin Blossoms in concert, but just found ourselves too wet and uncomfortable to stick it out. Navigating the crowds with umbrellas is challenging. Trying to sample food is even more difficult.

Today, we decided to give Italy a try.

Italy - Ravioli Di Formaggio all'Emiliana
In English, this is baked cheese ravioli with a creamy beef bolognese sauce, Parmesan cheese, and melted mozzarella. It looked amazing, unfortunately, I found it to be disappointing. First, I would call this lasagna before ravioli. There was no pocket or pillow of pasta. The bolognese was unevenly layered on the bottom of the dish (sans pasta), followed by a layer of cheese, a strip of pasta and a top layer of mozzarella. Second, it was very bland with very little red sauce. I will say it was a hearty portion for the $4.50 price. It just lacked in flavor.


Italy - Cappellini con Gamberi Piccanti
My husband tried the cappellini pasta with spicy shrimp. He enjoyed very much and said that except for one shrimp (I believe there were 5 in total), all of the shrimp tasted very fresh. He even enjoyed this dish a bit more than the Black Pepper Shrimp with Sichuan Noodles he had at China. This one cost a bit more than China too at $5.25.

 Belgium Truffles - Sold Out!
We ducked under an awning of a pastry kiosk near Italy to eat our Food & Wine items and afterwards I decided that I'd like to grab an order of the Chocolate Seashell Truffles at Belgium for dessert. At $1.75, this item was the lowest-cost sample on my list. There was a very permanent-looking sticker on all menu boards that said they were sold out! Bummer. That will teach me to wait until too long. Update: Truffles are back.

We decided to turn around and head back to Germany's Karamell Shop where I planned to pick up my annual Halloween caramel apple. The line was out the door so I decided to try another time. This is the second time I've tried to get a caramel apple this season and walked out because of the heavy lines. There's a reason for the long lines - it is worth it. However, I'll try my luck another visit.