Week 41 - Epcot Food & Wine Australia & Argentina (Oct 4)

After attending opening day at the Epcot Food & Wine Festival with a taste of cheese fondue and pumpkin mousse (both delicious), we returned for some more samples. Below are some reviews and photos from our second tour around the world.

Australia - Lamb Chop
The lamb chop from Australia has been a "must do" for me over the last several years. My husband doesn't like lamb so it is literally the only time a year I have an opportunity to enjoy it. I often have it at least twice...sometimes three times. It doesn't come cheap. This year's price is $5.75.


The chops are always small and my experiences have always been hit and miss. Often, the chop is cold (like today's). Every once in a while I get lucky enough to have one fresh and hot right off the grill. That, of course, is when it is best. If you want it hot, go where there is a long line. I tend to be there during "off" times to avoid the crowds.

Today's chop was also very fatty. Previous chops have been leaner. However, it was moist (and just a little pink). Despite it being cold, small, fatty and expensive, I still enjoyed it. It's a treat (and a matter of expectations). The side offered changes each year. I enjoyed last year's potatoes more. This year's contained pieces of goat cheese (I'm not a fan).

Argentina - Beef Empanada
My husband had the beef empanada. He enjoyed it. It was served hot and there was plenty of beefy filling inside. The price was average at $3.75.


I took a small bite. The taste reminded me of something, but I haven't yet been able to put my finger on it. It had a sweet taste that I didn't really care for. Our only complaint is that is was difficult to find a table or other convenient spot to chow down. We would up leaning against a railing.

Mexico Margarita
All this eating made us thirsty so we decided to grab a frozen margarita from the year-round stand just outside the Mexico pavilion. The drinks cost $9. Unfortunately, they were running out of lime (our favorite) so we were forced to order a fiesta margarita which had layers of lime, strawberry and mango. Neither of us cared very much for the strawberry.


There's a good amount of alcohol in these drinks. I'm not sure I could drink one on my own. There are a few frozen alcoholic beverages available at the Food & Wine booths, but they are only 6 oz and average in cost about $7.50. We'd rather have the larger drink for $9.

Dessert
Again, I went off the Food & Wine Festival booths. This time I headed to Germany's Karamell Shop. I walked in ready to buy a caramel apple, but changed my mind as soon as I saw the freshly-made Werther's Caramel Popcorn.


It was still warm. I ordered the small bag for about $3. When the bag was handed to me, I couldn't get over how heavy it felt. Pick up a box of Cracker Jacks and it feels like air. This bag is filled with a serious amount of caramel. The only downside is that the popcorn loses it's crispy, crunchy texture. But the caramel is sooo good, it doesn't matter. I shared with my husband and we couldn't finish the bag (it is rich). I brought it home and took 2 more days to finally finish it. Note... it gets more and more soggy as the days go by so eat as much as you can while it is fresh. I don't think I could ever order the large bag...

Next, my husband grabbed one of the Belgian Waffle with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream. Awesome. Well worth the $3 price. I took a small bite and loved it (might have to get my own next time). Unfortunately, we dug right in and forgot to take a photo.