Week 6 - Missed Disney World Due to Illness (Feb 11)

I'm home sick instead playing at Disney World. Boy, do I wish everyone who was sick stayed home instead of spreading the germs.

During each visit to Disney we make sure to dodge every cough, sneeze and sniffle we encounter. It is such a habit that my husband and I do not even need verbal communication. Even if we're hand-in-hand (as we often are) we just intuitively sidestep, make a u-turn or otherwise change our direction to a more germ-free zone.

Somehow I caught a cold and I'm not sure how. It could have been last week's visit to Disney or it could have been the grocery store (it was the only 2 places I had been.) My husband and I are not obsessive, but we do wash our hands a lot - and always before eating. We try not to touch things we don't have to. We avoid touching our face, especially our eyes and nose. We open doors with our elbows and toes (or use a paper towel). And, we keep hand sanitizer in our pocket for emergencies.

We're not crazy, just very germ aware... and that's from lessons learned the hard way. Some of my worst colds and flus were acquired after spending vacation time at Disney. Think about it. People from literally every corner of the world are bringing their germs to Disney World. Each one of them placing their hands on the turnstiles before entering the parks. That's why the restroom sink is always our fist stop after passing through the gates.

I am continually amazed at the poor hygiene habits I witness during every visit to Disney. I cannot stand the people who don't wash their hands after using the toilet (ewwww) or the ones who give their finger tips a one-second sprinkle without soap (who are they kidding?) I always thoroughly soap up and clean real good between my fingers and all sides of my hands. I'm pretty sure my own hand-washing has prompted a few guests to linger just a little longer at the sinks than they may have originally planned. I'm glad. Let's face it, properly washing hands is our first defense and just plain common courtesy.

When I set out to visit Disney every week for 52 weeks, I didn't plan on getting sick. As a courtesy to others, I stayed home. I hope to make up for my lost vacation day next week with a double visit.

I understand that sometimes you can't help the fact that you're sick during your Disney vacation. If you must go when you're sick, please 1) wash your hands often; 2) cover your coughs and sneezes - with your shoulder or elbow (not your hands, thank you); and 3) avoid touching things.

No one likes to get sick. Please don't spread the germs at Disney World - or anywhere else. Thanks!