Week 4 - Disney's Pop Century Resort (Jan 27)

Do you like to "Do The Hustle"... then on your next Disney vacation be sure to head over to Everything Pop (shopping and food court area) at Disney's Pop Century.

Every evening at approximately 6:00 pm guests in the food court area will notice that the overhead music briefly comes to a stop. In its place, is a recorded voice inviting these Disney hotel guests to join cast members in the center of the food court for a few toe-tapping, hand-clapping steps of that 1970's dance favorite - The Hustle.

During most "performances" cast members carry small signs that say, "Do The Hustle" and encourage nearby guests to join them. As soon as the memorable sounds of The Hustle" can be heard, a crowd of onlookers gather and cameras begin to flash as young and old take a step back into the disco era.


Now... I'm old enough to remember The Hustle in its heyday, and I even danced it - but not in the disco. No, I performed The Hustle on stage during a grammar school play. I was one of about 6 or 8 girls from class that learned the dance from one of our teachers. I don't remember the play exactly, but our part was to dance The Hustle to Sammy Davis Jr's, The Candyman. We were dressed in dark tops and white skirts (our Mom's were told to pin empty candy wrappers to our skirts).

To this day, each time The Hustle begins playing at Pop Century I'm transported back to 1975 - twirling on stage in my candy wrapper covered skirt and feeling on top of the world. Amazingly (to me, anyway) I remember the steps. My husband knows this and gives me a little nudge when we hear the announcer. Maybe one of these days I'll get up the courage to join the cast members for a few dance steps down memory lane.