Week 39 - Contempo Cafe - Quick Dining at Disney Contemporary (Sept 23)

We spent an afternoon at Disney's Contemporary Resort and grabbed lunch at the quick dining option, Contempo Cafe.


We shared the cheese flatbread pizza (good, but not great). We're just not that into flatbread pizza. We had a Hawaiian flatbread pizza at the Polynesian over July 4 and felt the same way. My husband enjoyed the green beans with sesame seeds. He declared it his new "best food bargain at Disney" which replaces his favorite breadsticks with sauce economy option. Out of curiosity, we also ordered the homemade chips. I wouldn't do them again. Pricey for the quantity you get and not freshly prepared.    

I still get a little lost at the Contemporary ever since a major renovation was completed at the hotel sometime around 2009. So many things I used to know so well have changed. Entire restaurants changed - not only locations, but floors. In particular I miss the Contemporary Food and Fun Center

The Food and Fun Center was once located on the main lobby level, which to me, always felt like it was "downstairs". I liked it. As the name suggests, it had food and fun. After the renovation, that space is now occupied by the Contemporary's newest restaurant, The Wave

The Contempo Cafe is located on the main upper level called the Grand Canyon Concourse. It occupies the space of the now defunct Concourse Steakhouse. It is literally right next to Chef Mickey's Character Buffet. In fact, if you peek over the wall you can see the characters making their way around the restaurant. You'll also see and hear birds flying overhead. Yes, real birds. They fly in the same tunnel as the monorail.

Finally, being the picky eater I am, I find it very difficult to find something to eat at the Contempo Cafe. The Food and Fun center had traditional hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken nuggets. While Contempo Cafe offers an Angus Cheeseburger, I find myself not wanting to order anything. Lots of sandwiches with condiments and breads I don't care for and other items only available during dinner hours.

Finally, I don't care for the ordering process. It is similar to what they implemented at the Polynesian. Guests must first self-order at a Kiosk (the germaphobe in me hates to use the touchscreen right before I eat); then pick-up any ala carte items (fruit, bottled drinks, desserts); and then walk over to the cashier who provides you with a pager. I find it inconvenient and not very time efficient.

I'm looking forward to returning, though. I have my eye on a red velvet cupcake topped with a towering amount of frosting.