Week 25 - Lightning at Disney World Epcot (June 23)

Lightning... why did it have to be lightning? Let's just say I'm very respectful of lightening - especially in central Florida. I have good reason too. Did you know that Florida is the lightning capital of the US?

Today we experienced lightning at Epcot while attending a performance at the Sounds Like Summer concert series at the American Gardens Theater. It sounded like summer alright - as I looked up in the sky and saw a bolt of lightning, the crackle of it traveled right through the band's speakers.

While the band made jokes and everyone else nervously laughed about it, I made my husband exit the outdoor theater and take me over to the Liberty Inn quick-service restaurant at America for cover. (We got a burger and fries - cold and not their best work.) Even though the performance was almost over, I promised I take my husband back to see Stayin' Alive a Tribute to the Bee Gees before they left in a couple of days. The band was really good and worth a second visit.


Lightning is serious business in Florida. If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to get struck by lightning. Will you? Probably not. But I say, why take chances? You're also supposed to stay in a safe place for at least 30 minutes after the storm before heading back outdoors.

I don't always heed my own lightning storm warning at Disney World, but today we were sitting under a tree, surrounded by water and the storm interfered with electrical equipment. That's more than enough reason for me to quickly move to a safer place.

It was still rumbling outside when we decided to walk back to our car, which we had parked at Disney's Boardwalk. I kept a watchful eye on the skies as we walked back to where we had spent our afternoon. I was nervous the entire time. I dont' know if anyone has ever been struck by lightening at Disney (they have safety precautions in place for lightning), but I do know that a giraffe suffered a fatal strike in 2003 on the grounds at Animal Kingdom.

Just before we left the Boardwalk to watch the concert at Epcot, we were sitting at the Belle Vue Lounge. It was 4:45 pm and the antique phone on the bar was ringning... and ringing and ringing.


My husband nudged me to answer it - thinking perhaps that it was a surprise. No one else was nearby (the bar didn't open until 5pm). It must have rang about 30 times and just as I was about to finally walk over and answer, the phone stopped ringing. Oh well, maybe next time.