Week 22 - Pirate Theme at Disney Caribbean Beach Resort (June 2)

A friend of mine just returned from a vacation in the Caribbean. After hearing about the trip, I wanted a little taste of the islands for myself so we headed off to Disney Caribbean Beach Resort.

While I was hoping to hear steel drums playing (tropical music always plays outdoors and in the Old Port Royale food and entertainment area), it was all about the pirates today. Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean to be exact.

It seems with the newest Pirates film now in theaters, Disney changed the overhead music track (at least while we were there) to theme music from the Magic Kingdom Pirates ride and possibly the movie. It was a relatively short track so you quickly get this "I've heard this before" vibe. Lots of dramatic loud music along with my favorite Yo Ho! Yo Ho! It's a pirate's life for me. Even though it is my favorite, I was still hoping for steel drums.

It was a beautiful sunny day and after strolling around Caribbean Cay. Caribbean Cay is an island accessible by footbridge just beyond the mail pool. It has winding paths and places to stop for relaxation or play including romantic gliders for two, gazebos with bench seating for the whole family, comfy hammocks and a children's playground.

We returned to Old Port Royale to grab a sandwich. We often seem to just miss the opening hours for the Market Street Deli, but today it was open so we instantly opted for that station and selected the Philly Cheese Steak.



I don't want to say that the cheese steak was bad, because the overall quality of the meat was good and the bread was fresh. It was just super bland. Hardly any flavor to it at all. I still have to say that the Cheese Steak Wrap at Disney's Pop Century is still a best bet if you're after the flavor of Philly.

The sandwich is served with your choice of pasta salad (more what I would call macaroni salad) or homemade potato chips. The chips were unique but nothing super special. They were topped with an unusual blend of spices - one of which was sweet. I didn't care for the sweet. To me, it is similar to the cinnamon-infused white rice at the Magic Kingdom's Crystal Palace buffet. Ick... I don't want cinnamon in my rice.