Week 17 - Disney 2011 Black Refillable Mug Found (Apr 28)

Back in March 2011 I noted that the Disney refillable mugs had been changed to a new design and that 4 new colors were available: black, pink, blue and yellow.

Since writing that post, I began to realize that I had since not found any black handled refillable mugs and began to question myself. Did I really see people carrying black mugs that first day? I was pretty sure I did, but now I don't see them anymore. Hmmm...

I came up with a theory that my husband thought was fairly plausible. Maybe there was a small surplus of black handles and caps from the last refillable mug design and they were just using them up. The last design (a red cup with Mickey Mouse and the tagline, "Celebrate Today") had only 3 handle colors: black, red or dark yellow. So... why would the new design offer 4 colors and why would it be so hard to find black?

Well, today I actually found 2 black refillable mugs for sale at Disney's Pop Century Resort. At the registers, the only colors available were pink and yellow (LOTS of yellow). If you walked near the back of the market area, you could actually find a handful of blue mugs. I looked high and low and that's when I spotted the elusive black mug... on a very high wall shelf. The shelf was higher than either my husband or I could even reach. We asked a cast member to take one down so that we could capture this photo:


So there you have it. Yes, there are black mugs but there seems to be very few of them. Could my theory be right? I don't know. But... if you are looking a black refillable mug from your Disney resort, scan for out-of-the-way areas that others may overlook. You may actually find a black mug. At least for now, that is a rare find.