Week 14 - Epcot Via Napoli Pizza Slice Review (Apr 8)

Take a look at this slice of pizza from Via Napoli at Epcot. It looks good, right? I mean it looks really, REALLY good.


We thought so too. This was our second try of a pizza slice from Via Napoli. We first tried an Epcot pepperoni slice about 10 days ago. In fact, here it is again for comparison:


After sampling the pizza at SeaWorld last week, I began to think that my perhaps my first Epcot pizza slice review was a little harsh. Unlike the Epcot slice, the pizza at SeaWorld was more typical of mass-produced theme park pizza. The crust was like frozen pizza from the supermarket. Don't get me wrong, the SeaWolrd pizza did have some good points. It was generous in cheese and was piping hot - literally fresh out of the oven. Well, see for yourself for comparison:


But... let me get back to reviewing the most recent pizza slice at Epcot. As much as I wanted to give Via Napoli a second chance and as much as I thought the cheese slice looked like it would be awesome - it still wasn't. Why? It was cold again. And, not just cold but the crust was almost stale - like chewing through day-old Italian bread that had become tough and dense. My husband enjoyed the crust on our first piece... not so much on our second slice.

Given theme-park pricing, I think the cheese slice is priced right at $4.50. Our cheese pizza slice was a center cut slice. Apparently our pepperoni slice (above) was a corner piece. We actually saw a full pizza go past the window before it was sliced. It was rectangular and I would guess they get 10 slices out of each whole pie (which is why we probably heard people grumbling last December about $50+ for a whole pie). Whole pizza pies are currently not offered.

There was a lot more "topping" to the center cut and it was a bit bigger than the end piece. The sauce is scant and a little bit on the acidic side. Some people prefer it that way... I like my sauce a little sweeter. The cheese distribution on our Via Napoli slice wasn't even. One side had more than the other and it had less cheese overall when compared to the SeaWorld slice.

I want to like this pizza. I really do. And, honestly, I think it has a real chance to be Epcot's best grab and go food option. The folks at Disney just need to figure out how to improve the overall process for keeping it hot and fresh. I simply can't figure out how I could stand in line for more than 5 minutes, watch at least 20 slices go out ahead of me and still wind up with cold pizza - twice.