Week 1: Downtown Disney (Jan 4)

So far so good... it's only the first week and we've made it to Disney twice already! Today we visited Downtown Disney.

Downtown Disney is one of our favorite places to stroll on a weekday for Disney shopping, dining and movies. Today we stopped by World of Disney... the largest shop on property for all things Disney. We had a 20% off coupon that expired today and we really had hoped to buy something we've had our eye on for a very long time. Something we like to call the "big fig". The big figs are very large Disney character figures. The one we wanted is the pie-eyed Mickey and Minnie pair holding ride tickets in their hands. Unfortunately, they were sold out. Maybe next time.

With no mice to buy, we headed to Earl of Sandwich for lunch. Earl's is one of Disney's best buys for a quick bite to eat and I highly recommend stopping by. Don't let the long line scare you - I promise it moves real fast. I LOVE the Original Sandwich - roast beef with cheddar and horseradish sauce and order it almost every time we visit this shop. Today, however, we decided to share a sandwich so that we could also get soup (yes, it was still chilly). Earl's has the best tomato soup, served with croutons. My husband isn't a huge fan of the Original so we ordered the Ham 'n' Swiss with Earl's mustard sauce to split. It's no Original, but a very good sandwich just the same.

Last, we headed over to Downtown Disney AMC Theaters. Wow... we haven't been here in a few months and boy have things changed. In fact, one entrance was closed for construction. At the other entrance, a new concession area has been converted to more of a self-serve area. We found it a little confusing (and it seemed other guests did too). Case in point - I accidentally poured myself a very large Coke with LIME and didn't know it until I had already reached my seat. The soda dispensers were cool looking machines but I guess I need to look at them more closely next time. The popcorn was just OK. We've been going to this theater for more than 10 years and they never have good popcorn. It looks like they're getting ready to serve "dinner" with movies as part of the redesign. Not sure how that will work out. Just exactly how much will a move-priced burger cost? Yikes! I like when things change and improve, but I'm already concerned what the self-area will look like during a busy movie night. With just a handful of people on a Tuesday afternoon it was already feeling too close for comfort. What movie did we see? Tron. My husband's choice...